Riviera Maya Experience on TirpAdvisor:|
Just returned from my 5th trip to Grande Luxxe since 2012 as an Interval trader.
Here are a few tips to help you enjoy your vacation:
1) Avoid the sales presentation at all costs, no matter what discounts, freebies or bargains they offer. They flatter then insult and degrade you if you refuse to buy — I have never felt so disrespected. It ruined my vacation. Better train your sales staff in respectful business practices and good manners.
2) Traders pay a "resort fee" depending on room size which will include an airport transport to the resort but not back. Read PG 2 of your confirmation. Return trip is $1360 pesos for a van which fits 5-8. Pay in pesos not dollars otherwise you get ripped off.
3) Main Pool Cabanas are reserved the day before at 7:30 AM and cost $25 US which is credited to food and drinks. Very busy. Don’t expect a shady place at main pools. Great Zumba at 10 AM and noon poolside and free kids' activities all day. Best food - drink service - in front of Havana Moon. Happy Hour is 12-2 PM= 2 for 1. Cocktails have virtually no alcohol; a lot of empty calories.
4) Grande Luxxe/Bliss Beach Club line is ridiculous. Get there before 9. Great if you have kids; incredible service.
5) If offered an upgrade, stay in an ODD numbered GL room. Otherwise you are on top of the 7:30 AM to 9:30 PM construction noise-- and it is loud --even with the AC and fans on. Like to sleep? Stay elsewhere. Waterslides they are building next to GL Jungle wont open till after June.
6) All restaurants, casual and elegant, are excellent. US prices, no bargains, but fresh and delicious selections esp the ceviche and Mexican favorites at Balche/Fridas. Try the crickets. Tramonto Italian is probably their finest; need a reservation.
7) The rooms are gorgeous, modern, very clean and extremely comfortable. Maid service twice a day. The employees are warm wonderful people. Treat them well.
8) Best place for an ocean swim is north of the resort where there is less coral and seaweed, near Valentin. Visit a different saltwater resort pool each day. There certainly are enough.
9) Dont miss the Flamenco night on the beach at Chiringuito Saturday nites with Natalia and her husband guitar player. Paella and sangria are amazing. New Salum is always fun anytime with hammocks and swings in the water. Try the tamales, and fresh fruit icepops and churros filled with creme for dessert. And of course, dont forget the traditional flan.
10) The transportation is a major problem. The trams/golfcarts can take forever. Wait is 5-20 minutes. Rides are long, windy and bumpy. Enjoy the iguanas and quatie (racoon/squirrel/mongoose, whatever!) with the two-foot brown tails. There are crocs at Greenbreak and flamingoes somewhere.
Enjoy your vaca, the beautiful Caribbean, and try to tune out the craziness.
Every little tip helps.